adb devices showing device offline
Al Sutton
2008-10-31 09:29:31 UTC
I'm on a Vista 32 bit SP1 box, I've installed the USB drivers, but when
I connect the device all I get is;

List of devices attached
HT843KV08851 offline

When I disconnect the device from the USB port the I get an empty
devices list, so I know it's registering the 'phone correctly.

USB Debugging is set on the 'phone, so I'm kind of wondering what the
problem is.

Anyone got any ideas?

Al.
--
Al Sutton

W: www.alsutton.com
B: alsutton.wordpress.com
T: twitter.com/alsutton
Al Sutton

T: twitter.com/alsutton
jarkman
2008-10-31 17:48:06 UTC
Al - I am running on XP, and seeing ADB behaving rather erratically
with my G1.

It will sometimes show it online, as it should, sometimes show it
offline, and sometimes show multiple (2-10) instances of it, all
offline. Killing and restarting the server seems to render it
temporarily sensible, but only temporarily. It rarely works for long
enough to start a debug session from Eclipse, and often hangs Eclipse
if I look at the Devices tab.

I have no idea how to fix it, but it seems to me there is probably
something adrift in the G1 device driver. I'll let you know if I find
any more.

Richard
Rob Franz
2008-10-31 19:17:41 UTC
RichardI ran into multiple instances of the device as well. Rebooting fixes
it. It sounds like adb is not properly removing the entry when the device
is disconnected - I had the phone plugged in via USB and unplugged several
times before reconnecting.

This was under XP too.

Rob
stephen.chambers
2008-11-02 05:59:35 UTC
I'm also rather new to this, but I can't seem to get the actual G1
device to show up when running "adb devices" on Vista. I don't know if
this is the same problem or not. I rebooted my PC as well as the
device. ADB is running because "adb devices" shows the emulator when
it is running. All I have to do is connect through the USB, right?
Vista recognized the device and thinks it downloaded the driver
correctly. When I use File Explorer, I can look around on the device
itself (although I expected a lot more than just three directories).
Anyone seen this kind of thing before? Everything had been going
swimmingly up until this point.

Stephen
Richard
bloodycorner
2008-12-04 20:54:49 UTC
The drivers installed automatically by Vista are not the ones you
need.

You need to enable usb debugging on your G1, then point it to the
drivers when it prompts you for them

More details below:
http://androidcommunity.com/forums/f4/how-to-install-apps-using-adb-4482/