"adb devices" is showing the device as offline.what is reason? How can i switch the device from online -> offline viceversa?
Sreedhar Reddy V
2012-07-18 07:00:45 UTC
Hi

I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.

I executed "adb devices" from my pc.

The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device

After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.

The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid offline

I am not sure what went wrong. i did not even touch my pc, and my device.
I made settings in my PC so that it will never sleep.
I am running monkey scripts which wont make android device to lock as well.

Many people said that ur device is offline because adbd deamon is not
running on android device.
But this is wrong, why because if adbd is not running then the device will
not be listed at all.

I came across adbd deamon process which will be running on my android
device.
For my device to get detected by adb(server on my pc) adbd must be running.

I went to adb shell
I stopped adbd using the command "stop adbd"
This stopped my adbd deamon on android device.because adbd is stopped mt
adb(server on my pc will not detect my device)
Now adbd is not running, I execute the "adb devices" command the output is,
list of devices with empty list.
The output
List of devices attached

because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon to
run again.

Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device

By seeing this output it is very clear that adbd deamon is running on
device, because if adbd is not running then the device will not be listed
at all.

Now the question is?
what is the reason for the device to go to offline? (i am very sure that
"adbd deamon not running" is not at all a reason for this.)
How can i switch the device from online -> offline viceversa?

I am very very thank full to any android expert who solve my confusion.
Indicator Veritatis
2012-07-23 19:25:57 UTC
You are right to be skeptical of the answers already give you. Clearly, adb
is running. But what is not clear is whether or not adb has already got
itself into a confused state.

Although I have not had the exact same problem you report, I have been able
to address similar problems by stopping and then restarting the adb server:
that is what I do when I know the device is there, but adb devices does not
report it. And although I cannot think of why it would make a difference,
it seems to work more reliably if I do this as superuser (on my development
system, which runs Linux) than if I do it as a regular user.

Of course, that is not much help to you if you have to run a monkey over
night. But it might at least help you narrow down what the problem is.
Post by Sreedhar Reddy V
Hi
I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.
I executed "adb devices" from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
[...]
List of devices attached
because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon to
run again.
Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
List of devices attached
Tommy Hartz
2012-07-23 19:47:06 UTC
I usually just unplug the phone then re-connect it. That has always solved
the problem for me.

Sreedhar Reddy V
2012-07-25 11:42:51 UTC
yaa ur right,

but the only problem is none of the solutions is bringing the device back
to online

tried adb server kill and restart - not working, device is still offline

cannot restart adbd deamon from pc, as device is offline, cannot restart on
android device as permission denied (need to root the device)

only way is remove usb cable, uncheck and check the usb debugging option in
android device connect again (this will restart adbd deamon,)
but this cannot be done programaticallly :-) we need manual intervention
not val;id for automation.

the below link has very good info on adb
http://www.slideshare.net/tetsu.koba/adbandroid-debug-bridge-how-it-works

But my major quest is why a device should go to offline, without any
reason, if it going to offline what is the reason, how can i purpose fully
make the device to go to offline?
Post by Sreedhar Reddy V
Hi
I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.
I executed "adb devices" from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
[...]
List of devices attached
because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon to
run again.
Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
List of devices attached
Diego Torres Milano
Sreedhar Reddy V
2012-07-25 11:47:50 UTC
Thanks for the answer,

actually i am trying to run commands from python script,

more over if the issue is with adbd, then even though i keep shell open,
restart adb server on pc, nothing is working,

only solution is remove usb cable, uncheck and check usb debugging option
on android device, connect usb cable again.(But i dont want to do it :-))

question which is tickling my mind is why device is going to offline?
Post by Sreedhar Reddy V
Hi
I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.
I executed "adb devices" from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
[...]
List of devices attached
because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon to
run again.
Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
List of devices attached
Meena Rengarajan
2012-07-25 11:51:05 UTC
Please , I am beginner to ANDROID . Can anyone send me Android Ebooks ... ?
Post by Sreedhar Reddy V
Hi
I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.
I executed "adb devices" from my pc.
The output
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.
The output
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid offline
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
[...]
List of devices attached
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon
to run again.
Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
------------------------------**------------------------------**
---------------
Latimerius

ranjit R
2012-07-24 06:44:24 UTC
hi,

try this command

adb kill-server

adb start-server

it disconnects and again tries to establish contact with your device via ADB
Post by Sreedhar Reddy V
Hi
I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.
I executed "adb devices" from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
[...]
List of devices attached
because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon to
run again.
Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
List of devices attached
Sreedhar Reddy V
2012-07-25 11:44:48 UTC
Thank u ranjit

i tried it, but this does not work, this will only restart the adb server
in pc, i strongly feel the problem is with adbd deamon which is running in
android device.
we cannot restart it as it need root permissions
Post by Sreedhar Reddy V
Hi
I connected My android ICS device to my windows PC using USB.
I executed "adb devices" from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
XXXXXXXXid device
After a long time of say 12 hours, i ran the same command "adb devices"
from my pc.
The output
List of devices attached
[...]
List of devices attached
because the device it self is not detected i cannot log in to adb shell
again to "start adbd" adbd deamon on my device.
so I shutdown and rebooted my android device, this made my adbd deamon to
run again.
Now when i executed "adb devices" on my PC
The output
List of devices attached