Apps downloaded from Play Store on Jelly Bean devices not working - even now - even free apps
Bikram Agarwal
2012-08-15 19:12:29 UTC
Hi,

I'm novice in Android app developement. I recently started building theme
packs for different launchers and uploaded them on Play Store. These apps
are having issues with devices using Jelly Bean ROM. And not just the mass
reported encryption related issue. I had heard that only paid apps were not
working on JB earlier and then Google disabled the DRM on play store and
that the apps were now supposed to work on JB too. But that's not happening
for me.

- Both of my paid and free apps are not working on Jelly Bean.
- Both kinds are getting downloaded to /mnt/asec which is the
'encrypted' market app download location for JB; and not the /data/app
- The exact same apk, when sideloaded and installed, works fine. So,
it's not app's issue.
- I downloaded someone else's theme pack and it got downloaded to
/data/app and worked fine.

So, my question is,

- While compiling/building the apk, do I need to do some extra settings
somewhere to make the app compatible with JB through play store?
- How do I force my apps to download OR get installed at pre-JB
locations and not /mnt/asec?

Any help would be appreciated. My apps are getting a bad rep due to this. :(

Thanks.
Bikram Agarwal
2012-08-15 19:17:44 UTC
FYI, these are my installed ADK packages -

YuviDroid
2012-10-15 21:07:18 UTC
I'm experiencing the same issues...did you manage to find any solution?

Thanks!

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 9:17 PM, Bikram Agarwal
Post by Bikram Agarwal
FYI, these are my installed ADK packages -
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-j1BMiwFXarg/UCv1rc26mkI/AAAAAAAAONo/UWH8XBZccUU/s1600/package.jpg>
YuviDroid
Check out Launch-X <http://android.yuvalsharon.net/launchx.php> (a widget
to quickly access your favorite apps and contacts!)
http://android.yuvalsharon.net
Nikolay Elenkov
2012-10-16 01:05:38 UTC
Post by YuviDroid
I'm experiencing the same issues...did you manage to find any solution?
Fix your apps to support Jelly Bean properly. Even on JB, APK resources are
public and you can read them if you use the proper path or APIs. You can
simulate 'app encryption' (forward locking) by installing using

adb instal -l myapp.apk

for testing.
YuviDroid
2012-10-16 15:02:34 UTC
Thanks for the 'adb install -l' hint...very useful :)

I think that what I do is actually ok, but it doesn't work when installing
with the 'app encryption' (-l option).
This is what I do:

Resources appResources =
packageManager.getResourcesForApplication(appPackageName);
InputStream is = appResources.getAssets().open("drawable.xml");

In this example 'appPackageName' is the package name of the app installed
using app encryption. (while this code runs from another app)
By using the app encryption the
line appResources.getAssets().open("drawable.xml") fails with a
"java.io.FileNotFoundException: drawable.xml", while if I install it
without using app encryption it works fine.

Is there maybe another way to access the assets of another package?

Thanks,
Yuvi

YuviDroid
2012-10-16 15:16:30 UTC
Ok... so the way GO Launcher themes are designed should change (since all
the xml they require are in the assets folder)...mmm well...ok. There's not
much I can do..

Post by YuviDroid
with the 'app encryption' (-l option).
Resources appResources =
packageManager.getResourcesForApplication(appPackageName);
InputStream is = appResources.getAssets().open("drawable.xml");
Assets (/res/asset) are put in the private part of the APK, so this is
not going to work. You can get drawables, layouts and more from
the public part though using getDrawable(), etc.