How to test Activity, which is run in the separate process (android.process=":process" in the manifest file)
Yahor Paulavets
2012-01-10 14:12:23 UTC
Hello,

After the week of hard workaround I didn't find any possible solution to
test Activity if it is run with specified android.process=":process" param
(private, isolated process).

Please help to find any possible solution to understand how to test such
Activities.

Is it Android bug, that Activities in the separate process are not
testable? :(

Any help is highly appreciated.

Best regards,
Yahor
Yahor Paulavets
Kristopher Micinski
2012-01-17 07:03:05 UTC
Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'test?'

Do you mean, run in eclipse with the 'test' functionality in that IDE?
Or perhaps you mean under something like monkeyrunner..

Depending on what you want to test, I don't see what your problem is,
which I suspect is why few people responded.

True, if something is running in a separate process it's not as easy
to debug it, you could always attack a debugger to the other process,
but this isn't a bug in Android, per se.

P.s., there have been so many people on this list lately with "here,
I've found an obvious bug in android" that doesn't really make sense,
please think deeply before you blame a highly trusted framework
(/system/framework/etc...)

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:54 AM, Yahor Paulavets
Post by Yahor Paulavets
Anyone?
Diego Torres Milano
2012-01-18 05:45:53 UTC
Just remove the process attribute from your manifest while testing and
re-enable it when exporting a production APK. Probably you have to
remove others as well (i.e. debuggable), so why bother.
Post by Yahor Paulavets
Hello,
After the week of hard workaround I didn't find any possible solution to
test Activity if it is run with specified android.process=":process" param
(private, isolated process).
Please help to find any possible solution to understand how to test such
Activities.
Is it Android bug, that Activities in the separate process are not
testable? :(
Any help is highly appreciated.
Best regards,
Yahor
Have you read my blog ?
http://dtmilano.blogspot.com
android junit tests ui linux cult thin clients
Yahor Paulavets
2012-01-19 09:50:04 UTC
Hello,

Thanks for the replies!

"Just out of interest, what do you mean by 'test?'"

- I mean GUI Robotium test - ActivityInstrumentationTestCase2 etc. Which
should be run from the shell ot the CI Server.

"Just remove the process attribute from your manifest while testing"

- I have tried, but by this way we are able only to run the application,
then it crashes without "separate process".. It has near 10 activities with
"separate process", if I remove all of them it doesn't work anyway..
But looks like it is only the direction we can find any solution.

I said that it is bug only because of it is illogical to have a huge
testing infrastructure and cool big apps which are not testable due to the
are no way to get control over the Activities which is run in a "separate
process"..

Please advise, is there any possible solution?

Best regards,
Yahor
Yahor Paulavets
2012-01-31 13:15:19 UTC
Anyone?

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Yahor Paulavets <
Post by Yahor Paulavets
Hello,
Thanks for the replies!
Yahor Paulavets
2012-01-31 13:18:24 UTC
I have shared a lot of knowledges, how to interact with android device
using shell:
http://softteco.blogspot.com/2011/03/android-low-level-shell-click-on-screen.html
And answering to every questions, guys have.

I'm so disappointed that there are nobody to help ME to solve MY problem
:(((
Very frustrating and disappointing..
Post by Yahor Paulavets
Anyone?
On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM, Yahor Paulavets <
Post by Yahor Paulavets
Hello,
Thanks for the replies!
Mark Murphy
2012-01-31 13:27:04 UTC
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Yahor Paulavets
I have shared a lot of knowledges, how to interact with android device using
shell: http://softteco.blogspot.com/2011/03/android-low-level-shell-click-on-screen.html
And answering to every questions, guys have.
I'm so disappointed that there are nobody to help ME to solve MY problem
:(((
Very frustrating and disappointing..
What is "frustrating and disappointing" is that you are using
android:process in your app to the extent that you are. Using it once
would require serious justification. "10 activities with separate
process" would get you fired within minutes.

Get rid of android:process and solve whatever problems you think that
they are solving.
--
Mark Murphy (a Commons Guy)

_The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development_ Version 3.7 Available!
Yahor Paulavets
2012-01-31 13:36:28 UTC
Hello,

It is not my app, it is app I have to test. And it is not testable, because
it has ":separate" processes.

I wonder to know, is there are any way to test such processes?

Or how can I submit a bug/ask google/whatever to get the answer or
direction..

Best regards,
Yahor
Yahor Paulavets
2012-01-31 13:40:24 UTC
update: if I remove ":process" separate process definition in the manifest
file, application crashes and there are no way to run it without separate
process definition.

Best regards,
Yahor
Mark Murphy
2012-01-31 13:43:53 UTC
On Tue, Jan 31, 2012 at 8:36 AM, Yahor Paulavets
Post by Yahor Paulavets
It is not my app, it is app I have to test. And it is not testable, because
it has ":separate" processes.
Ah, my apologies. Please direct my rants to the developers, who should
have their heads examined.
Post by Yahor Paulavets
I wonder to know, is there are any way to test such processes?
I doubt it, at least in terms of ActivityInstrumentationTestCase2 and
kin. Android does some magic to load your test cases into the same
process as the main app; I'll be rather surprised if they can somehow
magically extend that to other processes and coordinate between them.

Or, to look at it another way, if Diego Torres Milano did not have a
solution for you, then it is likely that no such solution exists --
he's probably the world's leading expert on this subject.

You could try monkeyrunner, as that has a chance of handling multiple processes.
Post by Yahor Paulavets
Or how can I submit a bug/ask google/whatever to get the answer or
direction..
You are welcome to file a feature request at http://b.android.com.
That will not help you in the short term.
Post by Yahor Paulavets
update: if I remove ":process" separate process definition in the manifest file, application crashes and there are no way to run it without separate process definition.
That is because the developers wrote a lousy app. If monkeyrunner does
not fit your needs, report back to whoever assigned this app to you
that the app is untestable in its current state, and that the
developers should remove the android:process attributes and fix their
app.

Yahor Paulavets
2012-02-01 02:36:53 UTC
Hello,

Sarcasm is not necessary. Just try to imagine, that devs have changed a
very big application's design a bit
to use separate processes and as a result you have lost almost 4 human
years of work. All UI tests. And all
Continious Integration servers became useless, because there are no tests
to run anymore.

I would love to laugh with you on my problem after we find the solution,
but now there are nothing to laugh on..

Best regards,
Yahor