Story about interesting Android apps
Vasanth Sridharan
2008-05-06 18:12:14 UTC
Hello,
My name is Vas and I am a reporter for Silicon Alley Insider (
www.alleyinsider.com), a tech news site based out of NYC. I am trying to put
together a story about interesting apps being developed for Android, and I
was hoping that if you're a developer, you would be willing to pitch me your
app, so I could write about it. I'm working on the story for the next week,
so any pitches would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vas
--
Vasanth Sridharan
Reporter

Josh Guilfoyle
OmarFlores
2008-05-07 20:29:15 UTC
Hi Vasant,

Please take a look of my app, geared towards an audience that would
appreciate reading about wise / life giving psalms: http://coreintent.googlepages.com/
look for the entry Psalms of the King David.

Also posted in http://helloandroid.com/apps where you will find a
database of apps.

Another couple of informative sites: droiddraw.org from where you can
navigate to the blog and
anddev.org

Cheers,

Omar Flores
WanderSmarty
2008-05-07 21:03:38 UTC
We have developed 2 apps for the challenge. One is gKite,
gkite.wandersmart.net, mobile brand finder utilizing location based
advertising and the other is an emergency response system,
disasternetwork.org, for families and emergency responders. Please
C: (408) 455-2254http://www.alleyinsider.comhttp://www.vasanthsridharan.com- Hide quoted text -
noha mansour
zero
2008-05-08 10:01:52 UTC
you might want to check out our project page,
wich is http://www.openintents.org
if you have any questions about openintents,
i suggest posting on the developer group,
http://groups.google.com/group/openintents
tberthel

Biosopher
2008-05-08 15:08:10 UTC
You can view our project's home page here: www.pocketjourney.com.

Cheers,
Anthony
CaptainFanatic
2008-05-09 00:43:22 UTC
Hi Vas,
My project "Bites" is a recipe and ingredients organiser for household
cooks. The project homepage is at http://bites-android.googlecode.com/
Bites creates relationships between your recipes, ingredients you have
in the cupboard and and meals you plan to make. This data is used to
automatically create a shopping list based on what ingredients are
needed to make your planned meals, and ingredients that you are
running out of.

A scenario - you are on the train home from work and decide you are
going to make your favourite fish curry, and while your are at it
invite a few friends over. You just grab your phone, enter fish curry
for 4 people and see what extra ingredients you'll need to pick up
from the shop on the way home. When you've made your curry, just grab
your phone again and confirm that you've made that curry for 4 people
and the ingredients you used will automatically be taken out of the
cupboard.

A future release of bites will include the ability to share recipes
with other Bites users, either via bluetooth or through a central
recipe web site.
jacek
2008-05-09 14:20:42 UTC
One of my apps is described here http://ambrosoft.com/gregor_android_demo.htm

It lets you browse Amazon's music collection utilizing their XML
speaking web services.
As it is it is not very practical yet; it is merely a technology demo
showcasing
some very highly optimized XML processing code.

After you search for a musician/group, say "radiohead," the Android
app gets the whole
information bundle from Amazon on a bunch of Radiohead recordings,
including prices, reviews, publication dates, etc. etc. By default the
list is first presented
as a table, sorted by CD title. From Menu you can pick different
sorts, eg. by price
and enjoy fast transformation on the client itself w/o going to server
for anything anymore.
Similarly, you can drill down on a particular title to read reviews,
see the song title list,
and get a link to the actual Amazon page for that publication. As
before, no new sever
interactions are needed, all the info is already cached on Android --
just not everything
is shown all at once. It is only when you search for a new artist, a
new info bundle
is requested and cached.

While the demo is limited to just music, it doesn't have to be :-) It
is a simple matter
to open it up to browse the entire Amazon catalogue.

Why Amazon? 'Cause the serve very nice XML in response to queries
and we like working with XML :-)

--Jacek
David Welton
2008-05-09 15:48:35 UTC
Post by Vasanth Sridharan
My name is Vas and I am a reporter for Silicon Alley Insider
(www.alleyinsider.com), a tech news site based out of NYC. I am trying to
put together a story about interesting apps being developed for Android, and
I was hoping that if you're a developer, you would be willing to pitch me
your app, so I could write about it. I'm working on the story for the next
week, so any pitches would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

I ported my open source, mobile scripting language Hecl to Android:
http://www.hecl.org

The idea is to make writing cell phone applications faster and more
accessible for more people, much as scripting languages have done for
other things in the past (Perl, Python, PHP, Tcl, Ruby, etc...).
--
David N. Welton

http://www.welton.it/davidw/

http://www.dedasys.com/
Gene Vayngrib
2008-05-12 19:17:07 UTC
Vas,

(posting second time - my yesterday's post did not go through)
I am in NY area and would be happy to help you with your article.
Our company Lablz, took part in 3 ADC submissions:

1. Bhoost.com - Open-source shell for Android's WebKit which gives Web
apps access to Android's metal.
Although Google said they were thrilled with 1,788 submissions for ADC
I, we think that taking into account huge appeal of the Android
platform - this number could have been at least 10 times bigger. And
it would have been - if Web developers were not excluded by the main
ADC judging criteria - applications had to make use of native Android
hardware and software. Bhoost is the answer to this problem. With
Bhoost Lablz aims to provide Web developers with the means to compete
in ADC II later this year.
You can go to bhoost.com to see the demo, and screenshots.

2. Lablz.com - Semantic Web platform that targets 100x speedup for the
development of Android, iPhone and desktop Web apps. Lablz gives
developer a way to avoid programming altogether - and instead focus on
the application's domain model. Developers do not need to worry about
Web scale deployment either, since Lablz servers run on Amazon AWS
(EC2 and S3).
You can go to lablz.com to see the flash movies and live demos of our
customers' consumer and business apps.

3. neoyou.org - Mobile Social Net with the initial theme - "meetup
after movies". It helps people discover new friends and instant dates
right in the movie theater. neoyou.org is a Web app built on top of
Lablz.com and is running on Bhoost browser shell, thus utilizing GPS,
camera, IM, vibration, sound - giving neoyou members deep immersion in
Social interactions.

Gene Vayngrib
http://lablz.com
http://bhoost.com